A Lentil Soup Perfect For Any Time Of Year
This is an easy-to-make lentil soup recipe that’s perfect for a simple dinner. The lemony flavor is what lets this soup adapt so well for any time of the year. Whether I need a cozy meal for a winter evening or an easy dinner during hot summer months, this is a soup I enjoy throughout the year.
Easy Lemon & Mushroom Lentil Soup
- 2 cups dry lentils rinsed
- 4 tbsp olive oil approximate amount
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 2 cups fresh spinach chopped
- 2 lemons zest and juice
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp thyme dried, crushed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp salt
- 4 cups broth chicken or vegetable
- 4 cups water
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil (approximately 4 tablespoons), onions, and mushrooms. Mix and cook a few minutes; until onion is translucent. Add garlic and mix.
- Add lentils, spinach, lemon zest, onion powder, thyme, chili powder, turmeric, and salt. Mix well.
- Add broth, lemon juice, and water. Mix well.
- Cover the pot and cook at medium heat until boiling.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes. If lentils are soft, turn off heat. If not, cook an additional five minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Let the soup rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a side salad, bread, or crackers.
Looking for more easy soup recipes? Try my Creamy Pumpkin Split Pea Soup.